This post is part of a virtual book tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions. Beth Ford will be awarding a $10 Amazon/BN gift card to a randomly drawn winner. Click on the tour banner to see the other stops on the tour.
Blurb:
Cassie Woods yearns to be a real journalist. But in 1880s New York City, her only assignments are women's interest stories. Until, that is, a cookbook author she's meant to interview goes missing and Cassie finds herself in the midst of a police investigation involving one of the city's major crime families. Surly but handsome Detective O'Neill threatens repercussions to her career if she continues to interfere. Will Cassie get in over her head or will she save the day and solve the mystery?
This collection contains seven connected stories, each centered on an exciting new case for Cassie to solve while navigating the highs and lows of her relationship with Detective O'Neill.
Purchase CRIMES AND CREVICES OF THE HEART on Amazon
Read an Expert
“Quite serious, I assure you.” She pointed at the card he held in his hand.
“Anyone could have these printed.”
“Are you going to let me talk to the detective who’s investigating her case or not?”
The man scowled, making his bushy blond eyebrows meet in the middle. Without a word, he walked through a door and out of sight. He returned a few minutes later followed by a fortyish man with strong cheekbones and striking green eyes. The first policeman returned to his duties at the front desk while his handsome superior continued into the lobby. Cassie turned her most charming smile on him.
“Are you the detective?”
“I can’t have reporters interfering in my case.” He spoke in a rough Irish brogue.
Her face fell. Clearly this man was not one to be charmed. “I’m merely asking for information.”
“What does the News Desk want with this story anyway? And why send you?”
“I’m the women’s editor—”
“Women are reading missing persons cases now, are they?”
“I’m simply trying to ascertain where the investigation currently stands. Mr. Walker’s lawyer—”
“What lawyer has he got?”
“Mr. Greene—”
The detective harrumphed. “No good swindler, that one.”
“I’m sure such a description applies to many lawyers you encounter, Mr.…”
The man glared at her. “O’Neill.”
Interview with Beth Ford
Author of CRIMES AND CREVICES OF THE HEART
Could you tell us about any research trips you took for this story? Which places did you visit, and what made them essential to your writing?
I didn’t take a trip specifically for this book, but while writing the final story in the collection, I was in New York City anyway. I visited the Tenement Museum and bought a book on the history of Five Points at the gift shop. The final story has a lot of action in Five Points, so both the visit and the book were essential to understanding the layout and feel of that neighborhood at the time.
What's the strangest thing you've ever had to research online for your book?
Well, this morning I googled “Do oxen have ankles” for a story because I couldn’t for the life of me remember the word “fetlock” so that felt pretty random. I’ve researched the gamut of topics for my work. I researched the spiritualist movement for a book. When writing my medieval time travel books, I had to research a lot of things such as what medieval people ate, what wine was like, what they wore, what saddles were like, and how they told time, among other things.
What research (history, mythology, science) goes into your world-building?
Given the genre that I write in, history is a big part of world-building. I generally read books or articles on the time period and the specific place I want to set the story. I may research historical individuals, but my main characters are typically fictional even though they may be inspired in part by real people. However, real people do occasionally pop up as minor characters in my stories.
Have any of the people you've known, past or present, left a lasting impression on your writing journey? If so, we'd love to hear about a memorable experience that stands out to you.
There have been so many—teachers, friends, fellow writers, editors. I can’t pick just one! While writing is often a solo endeavor, you really can’t make it without the support of others.
Do you write in the same genre all the time?
Not exactly. I write straight historical fiction as well as time travel romance. But I capture both genres under the tagline “fiction that transports you in time.” In all my books, history plays an important role.
If so, have you ever consider writing in another one?
The first book I ever wrote (which was never published) was contemporary literary fiction. While I won’t say I’d never write in that genre again, I do feel like I hit my niche when I started working in historical fiction.
Which character, supernatural or human, do you enjoy writing the most and why?
Writing the character of Ebenezer Scrooge for my Christmas Carol sequel, After the Spirits Come was delightful. I’ve always thought A Christmas Carol is the perfect story. I’ve read the book many times, watched movie versions, and I go to see the play at my local theater every year. To be even a small part of that Dickensian world was a huge honor.
About the Author:
Beth Ford writes historical and time travel stories that transport you in time. She is the author of the novels In the Times of Spirits, Love Between Times, Love Across Time, and After the Spirits Come: A Continuation of Dickens's A Christmas Carol. She also writes the Cassie Woods, Reporter historical mystery romance novella series. Her work has also appeared in a variety of literary journals. She lives in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.
Connect with Beth Ford
Giveaway:
$10 Amazon/BN GC
















1 comments:
Thank you for featuring CRIMES AND CREVICES OF THE HEART today.
Post a Comment