Labels

Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Review Tour + #Giveaway: Letters From Lucca by Kim Baccellia @GoddessFish


LETTERS FROM LUCCA

by Kim Baccellia

GENRE: Historical Dual Timeline


Blurb:


On the heels of Sammi's grandmother’s whispered deathbed wish, a package of letters from Italy arrives at her post box. Reading them makes Sammi recall whispers she heard in childhood of her grandmother’s wartime involvement, a past that Sammi's father and aunt would rather see remain closed. As if things couldn't get any worse, her long-time boyfriend, Hunter, dumps her. However, an opportunity arises that sends her to Italy to defend her grandmother, even if the truth might shatter all she believes. In a helpful twist, Joseph, her best friend’s Italian cousin, offers to help her. Despite the obvious growing attraction between Joseph and her, she tries to suppress it as she embarks on her mission to vindicate the grandmother she loves.

Purchase LETTERS FROM LUCCA on Amazon


Excerpt:


2018


Hunter: Meet me tonight. 7. Crystal Cove.


Sammi: Looking forward to it.


Time crept by in slow motion at the Saddleback Postal Shop. I kept re-reading Hunter’s message on my iPhone screen. The words staring back brought such a jumble of emotions. Excitement…anticipation…but also anxiety. He was insisting we meet later at Crystal Cove, an exclusive Newport Coast restaurant. Could this be it? What had I’d been hoping for? Fantasies of him leaning over the restaurant table with his adorable half-grin, asking me to marry him, collided with the task at hand.

With a sigh, I turned back to the counter. A shoebox sized package was shoved to the back. Delicate cursive writing spelled out my grandmother’s mailbox number. Who wrote like that anymore? I couldn’t help but feel a little sad, as handwriting had a beauty to it and I was someone who loved receiving something more tangible than a text.

The last name on the package, though, caught me off guard.

Santagostino.

My hands trembled, causing me to fumble the package. I knew that name. But where? I blinked twice and refocused.

My gaze flitted to the top.

Italia. Picturesque stamps of the legendary tower of Pisa and other Italian scenes stared back at me. Intrigued, I gave the package a shake. A light rustle answered back.

Sammi, what’s that?” Bev asked. I’d been so absorbed in what might be inside the package I hadn’t heard her enter. She held a collection of colorful boxes and wrapping paper. Bev prided herself on having the shop with the most holiday flare. Her Christmas decorations were often posted in the daily Saddleback Valley News.

Something for my grandmother.” I shook it again.

Bev leaned in even closer, pointing at the postmark. “She knows someone in Italy?”

A painful memory materialized of being that scared eight-year-old girl sworn to secrecy after overhearing an adult accusation against a family member. An ugly word I’d known as a child.

Collaborator.


My Review:

Letters From Lucca by Kim Baccellia is a deeply moving and poignant tale in many respects. It is filled with intrigue and suspense, keeping me engaged from the very first word. Once I began reading, I found it impossible to pause for even a moment. I was captivated by Sammi’s journey right from the opening page.

Letters From Lucca is a fascinating and enthralling narrative that is bound to attract any fan of historical fiction. The world-building is remarkable in numerous ways.

After her grandmother passes away, Sammi receives a box of letters from Italy. These letters reveal details about her grandmother’s experiences during World War II. However, Sammi’s aunt and father wish to distance themselves from the letters, preferring to leave the past behind.

Sammi struggles to read the letters since they are written in Italian. She enlists the help of Joseph, her best friend's Italian cousin, to translate them. Following her breakup with her boyfriend, Sammi travels to Italy with Joseph by her side to learn more about her grandmother’s history.

Letters From Lucca unfolds through a dual timeline, alternating between the present and the past. I had no trouble following each timeline and appreciated experiencing both narratives simultaneously.

I loved exploring Italy alongside Sammi—the vivid descriptions made me feel as though I was right there with her, experiencing everything firsthand.

I wholeheartedly recommend picking up a copy of Letters From Lucca today!




About the Author:


Award-winning author. Author of YA paranormal CROSSED OUT and CROSSED FIRE. YA dystopia CANDLE IN THE WIND. Also, the author of the urban diverse fantasy EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA. Short Christmas Magic in the Holiday analogy MISTLETOE AND MAGIC. Re-releasing YA fantasy under new title-GODDESSES DON'T CARE in 2026. 


Connect with Kim Baccellia




Giveaway:



$15 Amazon/BN GC





Follow the tour and comment; the more you comment, the better your chances of winning.


2 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for taking the time to read and review LETTERS FROM LUCCA today. We appreciate it!

Kim Baccellia said...

Thanks so much for the review and hosting me!